6 Essential Benefits of VPN Services – Do You Need to Get a VPN?October 25, 2018
If youve ever heard about VPN services then you might be asking yourself Should I use a VPN?. Most likely, the answer is yes. Especially with the inte
If you've ever heard about VPN services then you might be asking yourself “Should I use a VPN?”.
Most likely, the answer is yes. Especially with the internet evolving, VPNs are more and more necessary.
But you can't just take my advice for granted. That's why I'm gonna walk you through the benefits of VPN services so you can decide if you should get a VPN yourself.
- If you're not familiar with VPN, you can give our guide on how does a VPN work a read.
Let's go over the main advantages of using a VPN.
One of the main benefits of VPN (the most important actually) is the secure connection it gives you when browsing the internet.
VNP services use encryption protocols so the data you share when browsing the internet is secure.
With a normal connection, you are subjected to become a pray for hackers.
A virtual private network (VPN) connection creates a secure tunnel for internet browsing. It encrypts all the data being transferred between your device and the page you want to access, making it almost impossible to be deciphered.
Moreover, a VPN connection also hides your IP. This means hackers, your ISP (internet service provider), or the government can't see your identity online.
Once you connect to a VPN through the VPN software, the overall connection on your device is encrypted including the internet browsers, apps, torrents. Unlike proxies which need to be set up for specific apps.
Each VPN service offers a different level of encryption, so you must be careful when choosing your VPN provider.
What to look for when choosing a VPN provider:
- The VPN encryption protocols – There are more types of protocols used for VPN connections, and the encryption they offer is not equal. For example, you should stay away from PPTP as it's not considered secure anymore.
- Where they have servers – If you're going to use the VPN at home, you should choose a server that's close so it won't slow your internet speed. If you'll be using a VPN when gaming, connecting to a server that's close to the gaming server will help with the lags.
- What devices will you use – It's important to make sure the VPN service provides apps for all the devices you own. Also, you want to know how many devices you'll be using so you know what offer to choose.
One of the biggest benefits of using a VPN is it gives you a secure way to connect to public networks without worrying about third-party snoopers.
If you like blogging from coffee shops or travel a lot and often connect to airport and hotel networks, then you should be using a VPN service.
With public networks, VPNs are a must. The moment you connect to a public network, your security is at risk.
There are a lot of ways someone can alter the connection with the mean of stealing the data from the devices connecting to the network.
- Packet Sniffing – Or data phishing, refers to a hacker stealing your data. If a hacker has access to a router you're connected to, the sniffing comes easy for the hacker.
- Fake Wi-Fi networks – One common way for hackers to steal your information is by targeting a popular place (e.g. a coffee shop) and create a Wi-Fi connection with that place's name. You have no way of telling if the network is fake. So you might find yourself enjoying your favorite coffee, deciding to check your email and end up by connecting to a fake network and get your identity stolen.
- Auto-connecting – One way we make our life easier is by setting up our devices to auto-connect to Wi-fi networks we often use. The thing is, a hacker is able to duplicate a Wi-Fi connection. So if somebody is after your data, he can duplicate your Wi-Fi connection and your device will auto connect to the fake network.
Keep in mind that a hacker having access to your internet connection is not something to overlook. He doesn't only see your internet history, but he can also get his hands on your accounts, passwords, credit card data.
By using a VPN service, you assure a connection that's safe to use even from your favorite coffee shop.
One of the advantages of VPN services is you don't have to worry about someone stealing your hard work.
If you're a blogger or an online business owner, it's not hard to become the target of hackers. And the security of your data and content should be one of your biggest concerns.
Imagine working for months on a project just to have someone come and steal all that hard work from you. Not a pretty scenario, is it?
Your work deserves to be kept safe and it's totally worth investing in a VPN service so you make sure no one can get hold of your files.
- [9 Solid Reasons Why You Need to Use a VPN as a Blogger](/2018/08/30/why-you-need-vpn/)
Through the benefits of having a VPN, it worth mentioning the remote control characteristic.
VPN services were originally created for businesses to give their employees a system to connect to access the local business network from anywhere. VPN give employees a secure connection to the business network so no data exchanged in the connection is at risk of being peeked over or stolen. It's extremely useful for businesses with remote employees or with multiple locations.
Big businesses usually create their own VPN connections. But of course, this comes with at a higher price. Still, if you own a small business, you can create a secure tunnel for your business data by getting an affordable VPN service. It's especially useful if you have people working remotely for you.
Not only businesses can benefit from the remote trait a VPN gives, but also individuals who travel a lot.
Through a VPN connection, you can access your home network while traveling. Meaning you will be able to connect to the internet as being on the same LAN (local area network) as home, giving you the ability to share local files.
Unlike proxies, a VPN hides more than just your IP address.
When you connect through a VPN service, all your connection is encrypted. Meaning neither the ISP (Internet provider) nor the government can see what you're doing online. Which makes for an anonymous connection.
Still, you're not 100% anonymous.
You must pay close attention when you choose the VPN provider as some services are more reliable than others. Some providers keep your data and can either use them for their own advantage or to sell it to third parties.
Another aspect you need to keep in mind is that if the provider keeps your data, it's obligated to share it if there is any legal concern. VPN providers won't risk their freedom for your own.
What to be careful when choosing the VPN service
- If they keep logs of your data
- Where the VPN server is located, as in some jurisdictions they are legally required to keep logs
One of the most important benefits of VPN is it gives you the freedom to access any content online.
Some online content is restricted to specific countries. And there are various situations when regional restrictions can pose a problem.
For example, you might've bumped into a YouTube video that wasn't enabled in your country.
One of the best benefits of VPN is that you can easily bypass regional filters. The VPN service changes your IP, and when you register for the VPN service, you can choose the country of the server that's being used. Once you connect to the VPN, your IP will be changed and your connection will appear as being made from another country (the country where the VPN server is located).
Another situation where there's a benefit in using a VPN service is because of promotions and advertisements. Most brands target advertisements and promotions based on your location. By connecting to the internet through a VPN service, you might get your hands on better deals that are set up to display to people from different countries and you wouldn't see them otherwise.
Regional restriction can also pose a problem if you use to travel a lot. If you are from Italy, for example, and you travel to Australia, you might find that some of the websites you usually access from Italy are blocked for Australian users. In this case, using a VPN will give you the freedom to access the websites you want.
You can also bump into an unpleasant situation if you run an online business. Especially if you have clients from other countries. You might have, for example, to work on a client's website that's located in Europe but you are based on the US. If the website is blocked to US users, you won't be able to access it through a normal internet connection. But you can opt to use a VPN service that will change your IP into one located in Europe.
Regional restrictions can also pose a problem for SEOs that need to do keyword research for multiple countries. Google results show differently based on the country, and a VPN service will make it look like you're connecting from a different country.
Internet restrictions are really common in workspaces and schools. They usually set up a firewall to stop you from accessing certain websites. Common restrictions are YouTube, Facebook and other social media sites, and downloading torrents. By using a VPN service you can bypass these restrictions and enjoy your favorite movies or Instagram pages anytime you like.
By using a VPN service you can also get early access to content that's exclusive in a specific country. When a product releases, it's usual for it to be first released in one country (usually the US) before it goes live for the rest of the world. You can use a VPN with a US IP and your connection will display you as being located in the US, giving you access to the desired content. This one is especially useful for gamers, as games use to be released in the US first.
You should have a great understanding of what are the benefits of VPN. To recap, the main benefits of using a VPN are:
- Enhancing the security for internet connections
- Giving you the ability to safely connect to public networks
- Keeping your files and work safe
- Being able to connect remotely to local networks
- Get online anonymity
- Bypass filters and unblock websites, which comes with a lot of advantages
In today's world, VPN services are more than some services for geeks and tech enthusiasts. They became a necessity for any online user who wants to keep his/her data and identity secured.
So if you are concerned about your privacy, you should consider investing in a VPN service. There are a lot of affordable options out there you can opt for.